Re: LIN (ISO 17987)

Hello Marc,

On 22.06.21 10:25, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
Hello CAN community,

has anyone experience with a LIN stack for Linux? Can you recommend one?

there was an off-list discussion in February where I would like to share the latest reply.

In https://github.com/ppisa/linux-lin there's a bunch of URLs which points to a LIN implementation and documentation based on SocketCAN with LIN netdevices.

Best,
Oliver

On 21.02.21 19:54, Pavel Pisa wrote:
> Hello Christoph and Oliver,
>
> On Sunday 21 of February 2021 18:05:45 Christoph Fritz wrote:
>>   I would like to see a LIN implementation upstream in the Linux kernel,
>> I'm eager to help. A friend of mine is working for a car company and may
>> fund me a bit.
>>
>> So here I am asking for your opinion. What do you think about mainline
>> LIN support? Do you consider sllin's approach ready for mainline
>> (especially the CAN API and tty buffer requirement)?
>
> I am not sure if CAN API is a best approach but it worked, so it
> is such integrated CAN to LIN gateway. I am not sure if it
> should target drivers/net/can and considered rock stable API,
> but I think that pushing it to staging would help when there
> are users.
>
> My latest version is at
>
>    https://github.com/ppisa/linux-lin
>
> I have separated line discipline for master and slave
> mode to allows both types to be registered easily.
> It would be great if official slattach can add parameter
> to select discipline number, then we do not need to
> provide separate utility.
>
>> At first I thought about using an integrated chip like SJA1124 and
>> writing a small driver (UIO + userland for example). Oliver's point was
>> that it could use the already existing CAN API into userland as sllin is
>> doing.
>
> The SJA1124 is probably more robust but RT with SPI on Linux
> would cause probably even longer latencies than slLIN.
> I suggest to use RT preempt kernels. The main limitation
> of slLIN on UART is than in slave mode it cannot adjust
> bitrate according to the frame start synchronization.
> The timely response for slave on slLIN requires sound UART
> and RT preempt. I did not finish reading of SJA1124 doc
> if it support slave cache. For master mode, it seems that
> slLIN is good enough. Problem is FIFO Rc trigger level
> control. There should be unified API for this option control
> for all UARTs. If slLIN gets at least into staging then there
> is argument to start this proposal.
>
>> A beta character device driver like PEAK has for its products is pretty
>> sure nothing to get adopted upstream:
>> https://forum.peak-system.com/viewforum.php?f=237
>> Still it's interesting and maybe an inspiration for the slave mode.

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]