Re: Suggestion to have a functional addressing/broadcast option for ISO-TP sockets

Hi Thomas,

On 02.12.20 15:58, Thomas Wagner wrote:

Btw. I would like to ask about the naming of the flag.

CAN_ISOTP_FADDR_TX_ONLY
CAN_ISOTP_FUNCADDR_TX
CAN_ISOTP_FUNC_ADDR
CAN_ISOTP_FUNC_ADDR_TX
(?? other ideas ??)

I guess broadcast CAN_ISOTP_BROADCAST would be a more generic description, implying the 1-to-N nature where listeners might
establish a 1-to-1 connection as needed. But considering the flag would probably mainly be used with OBD/UDS functional addressing
CAN_ISOTP_FUNC_ADDR doesn't seem half bad IMO.

'BROADCAST' is a good hint!

I'll start with

#define CAN_ISOTP_SF_BROADCAST 0x800   /* 1-to-N functional addressing */

Btw. If you already have established the 8 1-to-1 sockets as described
above the ECU can also send PDUs with length >7 bytes as your socket
would do the protocol handshake.

Yes, that's the way I have been working most of the time. Even when sending functional requests to all ECUs, they will respond to those
8 1-to-1 sockets and hence I am able to receive responses that are quiet long. E.g. I can send a single functional request to make all
available ECUs identify with an ID, which is normally longer than 7 byte.

Ah, that completes my picture.

Are you currently working on a Linux 5.10-rc kernel with ISO-TP included
in the tree - or would you like the testing based on my GitHub isotp repo?

I would much prefer to work of the GitHub repo if possible, as I don't have a setup for newer kernels with CAN hardware.

Ok. Will send a notification here when the RFC code is ready to test.

Best regards,
Oliver

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]