Re: CAN FD support in slcan - protocol extension?

Hello Jacob,

On 10/26/19 9:27 PM, Jacob Schloss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've made a little CAN-USB adapter that is mostly compatible with the
> Lawicel AB text mode protocol that is common for serial-to-can
> adapters, but with some extensions for CAN FD.
>
> https://github.com/suburbanembedded/hadoucan-fw
> https://www.tindie.com/products/suburbanembedded/hadou-can-usb-can-fd-adapter/
>
> User Guide
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MtYEAVDF2ImoV_6nmfjP3o9sGMMwxck2wRqLRCWhaTU
>
> The device supports CAN FD, and I arbitrarily picked a new ascii
> command to support sending and receiving CAN FD packets, but it would
> be interesting if we could standardize FD support and add it to slcan.
>
> Right now I'm using 'd' for an FD message with an 11 bit id, 'D' for a
> FD message with a 29 bit id, and permitting FD frames to have DLC
> codes 9-F. I can change that if needed. BRS is enabled separately via
> a config setting.
>
> Does it make sense to try and coordinate an extension to the text mode
> protocol? I'd like to be able to send CAN FD frames through
> slcand/cansend etc and keep compatibility with any new hardware that
> might start coming out.

Are you aware of https://github.com/candle-usb/candleLight_fw?
That uses a one on one binary version of the socketcan driver.

That _might_ be straightforward to extend to FD. And that really
is a might, since I don't know how it is implemented, but I would
guess it is a flag.

With kind regards,

Jeroen

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]