CAN FD support in slcan - protocol extension?

Hi,

We've made a little CAN-USB adapter that is mostly compatible with the
Lawicel AB text mode protocol that is common for serial-to-can
adapters, but with some extensions for CAN FD.

https://github.com/suburbanembedded/hadoucan-fw
https://www.tindie.com/products/suburbanembedded/hadou-can-usb-can-fd-adapter/

User Guide
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MtYEAVDF2ImoV_6nmfjP3o9sGMMwxck2wRqLRCWhaTU

The device supports CAN FD, and I arbitrarily picked a new ascii
command to support sending and receiving CAN FD packets, but it would
be interesting if we could standardize FD support and add it to slcan.

Right now I'm using 'd' for an FD message with an 11 bit id, 'D' for a
FD message with a 29 bit id, and permitting FD frames to have DLC
codes 9-F. I can change that if needed. BRS is enabled separately via
a config setting.

Does it make sense to try and coordinate an extension to the text mode
protocol? I'd like to be able to send CAN FD frames through
slcand/cansend etc and keep compatibility with any new hardware that
might start coming out.

Thanks,
Jacob Schloss

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]