Re: c_can/d_can driver question

On di, 22 okt 2019 14:58:42 -0500, Elenita Hinds wrote:
> Sorry for the delay.  Responses below ..
>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 4:16 PM Kurt Van Dijck
> <dev.kurt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > On do, 17 okt 2019 15:37:04 -0500, Elenita Hinds wrote:
> > > I pulled in the c_can patches from the for-kurt branch (63574e9 thru
> > > bf01f717) and tested on my device.
> > > The number of overruns are noticeably fewer; however, the overall
> > > system performance seems to have slowed down. For example,
> > > the console response and Bluetooth data rate are noticeably slower.
> >
> > You now give more precedence to CAN and less to console etc. ?
> > >
> [eh]  No. The priorities are the same or however Linux handles
> interrupt priorities.
>
> > > I also noticed that while the number of overruns decreased, the number
> > > of errors increased:
> >
> > You have an interesting setup. I suspect that the FIFO is filled, and
> > does drop messages, although that is recorded in the statistics?
> >
> > Would you want to try branch c_can-v4.9 in github.com/kurt-vd/linux?
> > I improved the reception a bit, and increased the FIFO size.
>
> [eh]  I pulled the c_can-v4.9 changes (delta from v4.9) and the
> behavior is the same --
> the number of overruns is reduced (about 0.011% loss compared to about
> 0.32%) but the number
> of errors is increased (used to be the same number as the overruns).

Did you look for CAN bus errors yet?
	$ ip link set can0 type can berr-reporting
	$ ip link set can0 up
and then
	$candump -e any,0~0,#FFFFFFFF

If you experience bus problems, the cpu may have troubles following
them.

> I still see a slight degradation
> in system performance.
> I also tried the c_can-more-objects branch (increased the message
> objects to 64) and this also
> improved CAN handling (about to 0.004% overruns).
> Then I combined both IRQ-rxoffload and more-objects changes together
> and the number of overruns
> is further reduced (loss is close to 0%).

That is good news for me.  I'll grab the 'more-objects' branch also.
Where did you get it?

> > Besides that, can you give more details about your system and your load?
>
> [eh] System is similar to Beagleboard Black: TI AM335x.
> From 'top', running about 0% idle, with sys about 44%, usr about 43%,
> sirq about 9%.
> Load average: 4.70 4.88 4.04
> Let me know if you need more info.
>

> > Kind regards,
> > Kurt

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]