Re: Add GPIO support for mcp251x driver

On 8/20/19 1:39 PM, Schlüßler, Timo wrote:
>> Do all mcp251x variant support the GPIOs?

ok

> Yes, all three devices feature 3 general purpose inputs and 2 general
> purpose outputs.

So, there's no need to configure the gpiochip infrastructure different.

> The inputs can also be used to trigger sending of preloaded CAN
> messages. I don't know if this is compatible with the Linux CAN
> implementation or whether this option is wanted.

We don't have any support for this, nor concrete use cases for it.

> The outputs can also be used to signal the reception of a CAN
> message.

Like a RX interrupt?

> Probably this option shouldn't be selectable through the GPIO interface
> but somehow else.

First add support for the Inputs and Outputs.

> Do you have an idea? Probably this should get addressed separately - I
> just wanted to mention that the GPIOs can also be configured to have
> dedicated functions.

Maybe this can be configured with the pinctrl framework in the kernel.
But this is future work, do you have usecases for that? It makes no
sense to have the code if no-one uses it.

Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]