RE: Add GPIO support for mcp251x driver

On 8/20/19 1:23 PM, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
> > Thanks for the pointer.
> >
> > What do you mean with "proper"?
>
> The right way to do GPIOs is via the gpiochip framework, using custom
> ioctl() is not.
>
> > Can't we just add the relevant gpiochip_ calls in mcp251xx.c?
> Of course.
>
> Do all mcp251x variant support the GPIOs?

Yes, all three devices feature 3 general purpose inputs and 2 general purpose outputs.
The inputs can also be used to trigger sending of preloaded CAN messages. I don't know if this is compatible with the Linux CAN implementation or whether this option is wanted.
The outputs can also be used to signal the reception of a CAN message. Probably this option shouldn't be selectable through the GPIO interface but somehow else. Do you have an idea? Probably this should get addressed separately - I just wanted to mention that the GPIOs can also be configured to have dedicated functions.

Timo

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]