Re: j1939: discussion: RX path

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 15:00:12 +0200
Kurt Van Dijck <dev.kurt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On wo, 26 jun 2019 09:15:24 +0200, David Jander wrote:
> > Dear Kurt,
> >
> > On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 19:31:37 +0200
> > Kurt Van Dijck <dev.kurt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> more than 1 socket may have equal highest priority

True. We might want to restrict that though.

> > > I don't like any of these.
> > >
> > > The problem you try to solve is 'huge packet duplication where it is
> > > probably not required'.
> > > Your proposed solution puts a policy in the kernel that goes in serious
> > > conflict with a multiuser system. It is driven by a typical
> > > implementation, but did not address the problem you try to solve.
> > >
> > > In order to avoid receiving huge packets where we suspect it is not
> > > really wanted, we should not try to guess what 'a' program wants, nor
> > > implement rules that apply to 1 specific case.
> > > Instead, we should protect sockets from receiving huge packets.
> > >
> > > Why not add a socket option, that implements a ceiling on the
> > > size of received packets.
> > > If that defaults to, let's say, 1785 bytes, so anyone will out of the
> > > box receive all TP sessions, but no ETP session, then the user will not
> > > be really supprised, and we need to make only 1 clear decision during delivery.
> > >
> > > I honestly think that my proprosal puts way less decision policy in the
> > > kernel code, and effectively addresses the problem you tried to solve,
> > > without adding unnecessary multi-user restrictions.
> > >
> > > What's your thought?
> >
> > Thanks for your feedback. I understand it may sound counter-intuitive, but it
> > really isn't. What we are trying to accomplish is for SocketCAN with J1939 to
> > behave much like a network adapter with TCP/IP.
>
> J1939 is a datagram system, so more like UDP/IP.

In some aspects it is more like UDP, but unlike UDP, J1939 does have have
handshaking (in hardware) and is considered reliable.
Also the transport protocol implements handshakes and reliability for bigger
"datagrams".
On top of that, many applications (like the ISObus fileserver, or the ISObus
VT) behave much more like a connection-oriented server, thus benefiting more
from the TCP/IP server analogy. I.e. there is a "client" who establishes a
connection with a "server" and from then on they semantically communicate over
a point to point channel, akin to a connected TCP/IP socket.

> > The solution you propose is not enough. The problem really is not restricted
> > to "big" messages.
> I see.
> > If there are a lot of small frames coming from one client,
> > you really do not want all the unnecessary interruptions to other sockets, but
> > only the one that is connected to that client. That is actually one of the
> > main reasons to have J1939 in the kernel as opposed to a user-space
> > implementation... besides of course the obvious gains related to (E)TP.
>
> The main reason for J1939 in kernel is address claiming and Transport
> Protocol is impossible for a multiuser (or multi-process) system to be
> handled decently.
> If that was not the case, CAN_RAW was good enough.

Well, we have a lot of applications where sometimes more than one process on
the same system claims an address and communicates using a user-space
implementation of J1939. If there is more than one process, there is a
significant context-switching overhead though that we want to avoid.
Besides that it works quite well though.

> > The underlying problem here is that we are trying to have the same sort of
> > "connection oriented" sockets as in TCP/IP, but on a J1939-CAN network there is
> > no way of initiating nor terminating a connection, and bigger data "streams"
> > are artificially encapsulated in these (E)TP sessions. The semantics of J1939
> > and ISObus nevertheless are very similar to TCP/IP: There are servers that
> > bind() to an address and port number (NAME and PGN), and clients that
> > connect() to a server from a source address and -port number (client-NAME and
> > client-PGN).
>
> Again, J1939 has UDP semantics, and you're right that it's similar.
> That's why I chose to stick to BSD socket model that close.
>

> > The problem is that in the "server" case, just as in TCP/IP you would want a
> > new socket to be created (as is done with the accept() system call in TCP/IP)
> > for each new client that connect()s.
>
> Now you're going off the road (what a choice of words, isn't protronic
> in agriculture too?).

We do have a few agricultural customers, yes, and we also develop our own
ISObus applications.
But we also use J1939 and ISObus for some regular industrial applications...

> A UDP server opens 1 socket, and does not require a socket per
> connection, since the connection does not exist.

True. But like I said above, in ISObus there are use-cases where a
connection-oriented approach is used, even though there is no formal
handshaking of the establishment and closing of a connection in the link layer.

> A UDP 'connected client' does only exist at application level, and
> whenever the 'server' needs to send, it uses sendto() with destination
> address of the client.

You can always use J1939 like that too. We just wanted to use the
connection-oriented semantics from TCP/IP also, in order to be able to use
send() and recv() on such a socket.

> > For TCP/IP there is a defined sequence of TCP messages (SYN/ACK/FIN/...) that
> > initiates and terminates a "connection". Such a stateful protocol inherently
> > requires time-outs on the connection level to work. Probably one of the
> > reasons why J1939 is much simpler and stateless, due to it's real-time
> > requirements. Anyway, since the notion of a "connection" is a lot more vague
> > in J1939, there is some cooperation needed from user-space in order to decide
> > when a connection is established, and when it is closed. We cannot have an
> > accept() system call for J1939 unfortunately. Instead of that, the user-space
> > application needs to open a new socket that does bind() and then connect() to
> > the client's NAME and PGN. At that point (same as with an accept()ed TCP/IP
> > connection) all traffic coming from that specific NAME and PGN to the "server"
> > should be delivered only on that socket. And exactly this is what we are
> > trying to accomplish now, while we only have a bunch of sockets owned by one
> > application and no stateful information of the connection state of each of
> > those sockets.
>
> Why would you apply STREAM semantics on a DATAGRAM network?

Not strictly STREAM, but rather the notion of connections.

> > Imagine a J1939 "server" that has 20 "clients" connected to it. It will thus
> > have 21 open sockets (one for the server itself (the bind()ed socket) and one
> > for each of the "clients" (the bind()ed and connect()ed sockets). Now imagine
> > the trouble of having to deal with the fact that every single message from
> > client A is received on all 21 sockets duplicated! You don't want that. Not
> > for big messages, nor for small ones.
>
> I don't even want those 20 sockets for Datagrams.

...but I do want to keep track of connected peers. The fact that you call all
the messages datagrams does not make much of a difference really. TCP/IP is
also used for request/answer datagram communication in case of a TCP/IP server.

> I'm not aware of the complexity that has been added recently for the
> ETP, but that should not break multiuser operation, i.e.,
> if I write 'a' program, then that program should receive the same thing
> regardless of the presence of other sockets on the local system, with or
> withing the same process.
> I would not plan to violate that rule.
> I seriously would not.

That rule is not violated as long as these processes have their own address
(and NAME). If they share the same address and NAME, they are part of the same
control-function. In that case, as long as they do not connect() and only use
sendto() and recvfrom() that rule also holds true.
It is only when you use connect() to establish a 1:1 connection with another
peer. The only difference with TCP/IP sockets in that case is that you use
connect() on both ends instead of listen()/accept(), and the
establishment/tear-down of the connection is thus left to the application.

Best regards,

--
David Jander
Protonic Holland.

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]