Re: j1939: discussion: RX path

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 12:08:47 +0200
Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/26/19 11:55 AM, David Jander wrote:
> >> One more question regarding isolation of different sockets. Should we
> >> allow a bind()+connect() to the same tuple (SRC/DST/PGN) from more than
> >> one socket? We have to take care of Names, too...somehow.
> >
> > Good question... does that have impact on the code? Is it easier to restrict
> > it to one instance, or is it easier to just sent duplicated data to the same
> > kind of sockets?
>
> For now we receive the whole (E)TP in kernel and dump the whole message
> into all matching sockets. So it doesn't make any difference here.
>
> We were also having incremental recv() in the back of our heads, it's
> probably easier with only one socket.

I agree. Can we say then, that data should be delivered on one socket only,
and that it is never duplicated (except for un-connect()ed sockets maybe)?

> However it probably only makes sense on connect()ed sockets, as an
> ongoing huge ETP will block every small packet. And huge ETP transfers
> can take up to an hour...

Small interleaved single-frame messages will then be recv()ed on the
bind()ed-only socket?
If a client sends me (the server) a huge ETP and in between single-frame
real-time messages, will that work correctly? I'd expect to receive all the
single-frame messages in real-time and the ETP message at the end...

Best regards,

--
David Jander
Protonic Holland.

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]