Re: [RFC] net: sch_generic: fq_codel vs pfifo_fast

On 3/27/19 7:30 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>> on CAN networking hardware we (the CAN community) experience a lot silent,
>> unwanted frame drops inside the kernel. (See first patch for details.) So
>> here's a patch series to keep pfifo_fast as default scheduler for CAN hardware
>> by default.
>
> Why do you set fq_codel as default qdisc if you know it doesn't work right for your
> environment. Is this a distro's want one value problem?

This is a many fold problem.

- Consider a random Linux developer attaching one of the mainline
supported USB-CAN adapters to his/her development laptop and doing some
random CAN test. As far a I heard all modern Linux distributions (but
not debian) enable fq_codel per kernel .config or via systemd. The user
will experiences dropped CAN frames on the first 1000 packages. This is
not a good user experience.

- From the user space point of view the sysctl net.core.default_qdisc
behaves a bit strange. Why can I enable a queuing discipline by default
that's known not to work on CAN devices. You might think the kernel
(should) know that CAN devices best work with pfifo_fast (or not
NET_SCHED at all).

- Addressing your question directly: Mixed environment. fq_codel works
great on Ethernet, but terrible on CAN. Of course I an use "tc" to
configure the way I want to. But from my point of view it would be nice,
if the kernel uses sane default...and handles the net.core.default_qdisc
default in a sane way.

Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]