Correct handling of signal

Hello,

I'm developing a scientific application that can be used standalone as well
as a library.

We use connection files to exchange information about socket based
connection. Upon an unclean exit these connection linger around, causing
trouble on the next startup.

I implemented a signal handler to clean up on unclean exit:

  signal(SIGSEGV, precice::utils::terminationSignalHandler);
  signal(SIGABRT, precice::utils::terminationSignalHandler);
  signal(SIGTERM, precice::utils::terminationSignalHandler);
  signal(SIGINT,  precice::utils::terminationSignalHandler);

void terminationSignalHandler(int signal) {
// use boost filesystem to clean up
}

Since I'm a rather high level programmer I haven't had much contact with
signals, some questions:

1) Can I assume the application to be in a condition to actually do
something when these signals are called? I have doubts especially about
SIGSEGV regarding corruption of internal data structures.

2) Can multiple signal handler be installed for one signal? Or do subsequent
invocations of signal(...) overwrite the handler for the resp. signal? If we
are used as a library and host application has installed own signal handler,
how can we omit overwriting them?

3) If there are multiple handler for one signal, can we remove our handler
from the chain and re-emit the signal? Or should be just use std::exit or
std::abort?

4) Is this the right way to go for the problem described? Any comments
welcome!

Best Regards,
Florian