Re: use getifaddrs()

On 11/10/2012 10:44, Pietro Paolini wrote:
Hello,

I'm not sure about the mailing list I should ask this.
I am rewrite a C program in order to make it portable between differents arch and I am a bit confused regarding byte order.

I am getting the list of my interfaces using the getifaddr() functions and it seems return me a list of interfaces with their IP addresses in network byte order instead of host byte order.
It is a regular behavior or I am wrong and confused ?

Many thanks,
Pietro

Regular -- I'm not sure about getifaddrs, but most (all?) socket functions do the same, so sometimes (as in this case it sems) it's just assumed to be the default.
In general you can just check the manpage:
1. from your system -- "man getifaddrs"
2. from the posix std online
3. from www.freebsd.org -- its manpages section actually lets you look at manpages from a *lot* of unices (*BSD, linux, solaris, ...), it's very very handy