Re: Error in compiling a module

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi...
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 00:28, Balachandar <bala1486@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thank you for your help. I figured out the mistake. I missed a
>> semicolon in one of the header file that was included in the file that
>> showed the error.
>
> I think it would be great if you and some guys here write about
> "mistakes I ever did when I write kernel codes" in kernelnewbies
> wiki....so that others might learn about it.
>
> Just 2 cents suggestion...
>
> --
> regards,
>
> Mulyadi Santosa
> Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

Hi Mulyadi,

Youre a regular here, and would have some "authority" on making recommendations.

The trouble I have with "edit the wiki" suggestions is that people
get intimidated by questions of "where to put stuff ?".

I just looked at HelpforBeginners
http://kernelnewbies.org/HelpForBeginners

and encountered this:
You are encouraged to edit the WikiSandBox whichever way you like.
Please restrain yourself from editing other pages until you feel at
home with the ways a wiki works.

The unintended message I got from this is "dont touch the other stuff",
which doesnt set the bar low enough to encourage contributions -
it implies that "judges" might not like your content or its placement.

my $.02 - perhaps we need a CatchAll bucket for content that could be useful,
but contributor doesnt know where to put it.  Organization could come
afterwards.
You cant sort a deck of cards until youve got the cards, and once you
do, its trivial
to determine that the 10-of-Spades is missing.

The bit Id add, in response to the now solved problem, would be:

Try making the *.i file to trace down whats missing (or not missing)

make -C /home/jimc/lx/linux-2.6.git O=/home/jimc/lx/sk/. drivers/hwmon/pc87360.i
  Using /home/jimc/lx/linux-2.6.git as source for kernel
  CPP [M] drivers/hwmon/pc87360.i

wrt Victor's post, my impression was that the real error was not spaces/tabs
but lack of linkage to the src tree...

$> make O=../<mybuilddir> defconfig
will write a new Makefile into the build dir, so you can make further
from there,
ie copy in an old .config, then make oldconfig to update it per latest source.

[jimc@harpo sk]$ make
make -C /home/jimc/lx/linux-2.6.git O=/home/jimc/lx/sk/.
  Using /home/jimc/lx/linux-2.6.git as source for kernel
  GEN     /home/jimc/lx/sk/Makefile
  CHK     include/linux/version.h

His hint is useful and valuable in the right place, but I dont know
where that is
at this point, and I suspect many potential contributors would appreciate
more specific guidance, or a default place that can be organized once it
gets some content.

thanks