Doubt in linux kernel hlist implementation

Hi,
  I am trying to understand Linux Kernel implementation of linked list
and hash table. A link to the implementation is here. I understood the
linked list implementation. But i am little confused of why double
pointers is being used in hlist (**pprev). Link for hlist is here. I
understand that hlist is used in implementation of hash table since
head of the list requires only one pointer and it saves space. Why
cant it be done using single pointer (just *prev like the linked
list)? Please help me.

Thanks,
Bala