Re: argv[0]

On Friday 13 January 2006 13:26, you wrote:

> On 1/13/06, a.biardi@xxxxxxxxxx <a.biardi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any C function that can tell me what argv[0] is, outside
> > main()?
> >
> > I thought to use getpid() and then look at /proc/<pid>/cmdline
> > but doesn't seem portable. Any hints?
>
> The arguments are pushed on the stack upon process creation.  Once
> the process is running there is little chance to get hands on them
> except for the /proc approach.
>
> 	\Steve

Just in case anybody needs it, I think I found something inside
errno.h (GNU-only):

/* The full and simple forms of the name with which the program was
   invoked.  These variables are set up automatically at startup based
   on  the value of ARGV[0] (this works only if you use GNU ld). */
extern char *program_invocation_name, *program_invocation_short_name;¶

Bye,
Andrea.
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-c-programming" in