Re: blktrace & btrace usability

Jan Blunck wrote:
On Tue, Jan 22, Linda Walsh wrote:

Jan Blunck wrote:
blktrace is used by the preload package. The preload package is capable of
remapping blocks for faster booting. Therefore we need the blktrace
output. But we only have a remapper for ext3.
----
   I wondered about that, but the blktrace package doesn't containg
any utility for remapping blocks. The blktrace-0.99.3-12 package
included in OSuse-10.3, I only see utilities "blkparse, blktrace, btrace,
blkrawverify, btt, and verify_blktrace". Was it left out by accident? ---or---

No, this is the reason why I said "blktrace is used by the preload
package". The ext3remapper is part of the preload package.
----
   Ahh...I'm sorry, I didn't know that the blktrace rc-scripts were
unrelated to the blktrace package and that by preload package you meant
a package named "preload" (I thought preload was some other phase
that I didn't know about that happened before other packages
were processed, or something).  I got confused by the names (no
idea why...*cough*)...  I'm not sure why the package, "preload", got
installed and "chkconfig'ed on" when I have no ext{23} disks.

   I have "personal" issues with each new version adding more
automatically run "services".  Reminds me more and more of WinXP with
all its auto-start boot progs & services and how it initially (pre-SP2),
installed with most services turned on (even though they weren't
needed by most users).  In a similar way, SuSE organizes its
rpms to "require" features (packages) that I don't want and don't
need (avahi an apple-ad-hoc networking util with most of gnome
requiring its presence).

   xfs has a file-system re-organizer, but its design goal
(probably ~10 years back) was simply to coalesce discontiguous
file parts to speed up speed sensitive real-time video streaming.
If it was deemed important, the existing xfs_fsr might be
adaptable...

   Sorry for my confusion..., from the names "boot.blktrace" &
"stopblktrace", I thought they were general scripts for recording
the "boot+rc" block actions -- not specifically for the
package named "preload".

-l

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-btrace" in

[Index of Archives]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]