Re: blktrace & btrace usability

Jan Blunck wrote:
blktrace is used by the preload package. The preload package is capable of
remapping blocks for faster booting. Therefore we need the blktrace
output. But we only have a remapper for ext3.
----
   I wondered about that, but the blktrace package doesn't containg
any utility for remapping blocks. The blktrace-0.99.3-12 package
included in OSuse-10.3, I only see utilities "blkparse, blktrace, btrace,
blkrawverify, btt, and verify_blktrace".
   Was it left out by accident?  ---or---

   If the remapping is in a separate package, then shouldn't
the blktrace package "just" do the block tracing, regardless
of file type (i.e. in typical unix fashion, it does its part, and
another util (a block-re-arranger) does its part...?
   Having blktrace do it's thing no matter what filesystem
follows might encourage or enable someone to write re-arrangers
for other filesystems...(?)  After all, xfs already has
one block-rearranger program (for what little it is needed)
in "xfs_fsr". Does ext3 have something similar now?
   Was the ext3 block re-arranging tool supposed to be
in the blktrace package?
thanks,
linda

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-btrace" in

[Index of Archives]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]