Re: Bluetooth: Allow to use configure SCO socket codec parameters

Hi Pali,

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:53 AM Pali Rohár <pali@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Friday 15 May 2020 16:08:45 Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> > Hi Andrew, Aleksandar,

> > > To add to what Aleksandar said, a number of us would be more than
> > > willing to help out in any way we can.  Certainly myself, but I expect
> > > a number of others, too.  We have bluetooth cards in our computers
> > > with wideband speech support.  We have bluetooth headsets with
> > > wideband speech support.  Many of the links in the chain are in place.
> > > If we can continue building that chain then we can have a higher
> > > quality experience in this era of teleconferencing in particular.
> > >
> > > So if there's anything we can lend a hand with, then please let us
> > > know and we can see this through.
> >
> > Just to be clear here, WBS is already supported what is not supported
> > is hardware based codecs,
>
> Luiz, this is not truth. What is not supported are also custom
> parameters and custom codecs; including hardware mSBC support.
>
> Last year I started this thread because kernel blocks usage of
> AuriStream codec in any form (software or hardware).
>
> And AuriStream is supported by many bluetooth headsets and should have
> better quality than CVSD codec.

You are still talking about hardware codec not WBS which is a HFP
feature, without a proper HFP implementation it is not even possible
to select AuriStream so it beats me why you want to bring that up.

> > we spend a lot of time enabling WBS on oFono
> > but it looks like people are now trying to come with their own
> > solutions and complaining about lack of WBS is not really justified
> > since the combination of BlueZ + oFono has been in use by the car
> > industry for years but desktop folks has not been interested in a
> > proper HFP solution so instead we have modem manager, network manager,
> > etc, which doesn't even cover all desktop use cases properly as you
> > are experience first hand here.
>
> Apparently all people who are periodically writing me private emails are
> not interested in car industry, but are ordinary desktop / laptop users
> and ofono is not ready for these use cases and are not going to fix it.
> I guess that Aleksander and Andrew too are desktop / laptop users and
> not from car industry.

Once you written and qualified your own HFP implementation we can
start talking about integrating it for desktop / laptop use, otherwise
the _only_ real option here is oFono, whether that requires a modem or
not is a different history, something that perhaps we should take on
to oFono to enable VoIP application to act as modems but that needs to
be discussed with oFono community.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz