Re: Bluez blotoothctl scan vs hcitool scan

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 9:13 AM Barry Byford <31baz66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If the DBus API is not cutting it for you then using the MGMT API
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/tree/doc/mgmt-api.txt
> is what has been recommended in the past:
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bluetooth/msg68959.html
>
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 at 16:37, chris baker <chrisbkr2020@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 6:08 AM Barry Byford <31baz66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Chris,

> > > Duplicates are disabled by default with the DBus API. This can be
> > > controlled with the DuplicateData setting:
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/tree/doc/adapter-api.txt#n107
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Barry
> >

> > My apologies, I guess I wasn't clear (long post) but, I turned
> > duplicate data on when using the bluetoothctl command (via the "scan"
> > submenu) and also used the flag, "hcitool lescan --duplicates", when
> > running the hcitool command. So both scans should have included any
> > duplicates (unless I've misunderstood something). Additionally, none
> > of the missing packets were duplicates (again, unless I'm
> > misunderstanding what "duplicates" means). each packet had a unique
> > sequence numbers as well as the button data field toggling.

Great, thank you. I'll look into the MGMT api in the coming days. That
said, is it a problem to use both api's (MGMT/DBus) concurrently from
the same app? My application supports both connected BLE sensors as
well as BLE beacon type sensors. If possible I can handle them in two
different threads, but the DBus thread for connected sensors would
still occasionally need to scan for new sensors (using the DBus
discovery call) and would still need to get characteristic changed
callbacks as well.

Out of curiosity though, is the behavior I'm seeing normal? Or is the
sensor doing something improper possibly? Seeing as the packets aren't
duplicates why would they be filtered (or are they just not being
received to begin with for some reason)? The 11 second interval seems
kind of strange. Anyway, thanks again for the help! Chris