Re: mesh: Send mesh model message to group address

Hi Michael,
On Sat, 2020-02-15 at 13:20 -0500, Michael N. Moran wrote:
> I've been using meshctl to provision/configure a group of
> mesh nodes.

First off, don't use meshctl for work going forward, unless for some reason you *require* GATT support.  Mesh
is designed to primarily be an Advertising based system, and so all current work is being done on the
bluetooth-meshd daemon, which does not yet have GATT support.

We currently have a pretty robust solution based on:

1. Run mesh/bluetooth-meshd as root
    1.1 You may need to first install, *or* copy
        mesh/bluetooth-mesh.conf --> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth-mesh.conf

    1.2 Make sure mesh/bluetooth-meshd has a dedicated v4.0 or
        better controller. This can be done by stopping bluetoothd,
        or by having a 2nd controller in the system and making sure
        that in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf, AutoEnable=false

    1.3 reboot

2. Run tools/mesh-cfgclient

> There does not seem to be a mechanism in meshctl to send
> model messages to group addresses or virtual addresses.
>
> As an example, consider the simple OnOff model. I can
> configure the subscription for an OnOff model with a group
> address. However, the meshctl onoff command will not work
> with a group address set for the onoff target.
>
> I have modified the cmd_set() function in onoff-model.c by
> removing the node_find_by_addr(target) check and this works
> fine. Obviously, that only works for the OnOff model. I'd
> happily submit a patch for that model, but that doesn't seem
> to be a very good general solution.
>
> So is meshctl the right (only) tool to use on Linux?
> Is there a newer tool that is planned or under development?

See above, and use the tip of the repository (currently at v5.53)