Re: Clarification on deprecated tools (e.g. hciconfig)

On 14 May 2017 at 18:25, Jonah Petri <jonah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On May 14, 2017, at 12:19 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I'd be happy to update the arch wiki to point to any new information
>>> provided. For what it's worth, I think the information would be
>>> relevant in a widely accessible place (the official bluez site in my
>>> opinion); this question has already popped up in various places. [4]
>>> [5] [6] [7]
>>
>> I guess the most practical solution would be to switch everything to
>> use bluetoothctl as much as possible, going with raw or mgmt socket
>> should only be mentioned as a last resort in case something went
>> wrong.
>
> Is bluetoothctl scriptable?  It doesn’t seem to be able to take commands in anything but interactive mode.  As far as I can tell, where I used to do “hciconfig hci0 up” as one line in a shell script, I now need to write a fully-fledged dbus application to bring up the interface.  Is my conclusion correct?

You can do some scripting like the following with bluetoothctl:

bluetoothctl << EOF
power on
EOF

You can also do DBus on the command line. Depending on your system it
might need to be gdbus, dbus-send or busctl etc.

For example with busctl on my system I can do:

busctl call org.bluez /org/bluez/hci0 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties
Set ssv org.bluez.Adapter1 Powered b true

busctl call org.bluez /org/bluez/hci0 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties
Set ssv org.bluez.Adapter1 Powered b false