From: Montague, Jay
Sent: 07 September 2016 16:05
To: 'linux-bluetooth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' <linux-bluetooth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: bluez bluetooth problem

Dear Bluez,

I am having a problem that I wondered whether you could help me with?

I'm currently working on a project in which I'm trying to communicate to an Intel Edison board from my Windows PC via Bluetooth. I have managed to successfully connect and communicate via Bluetooth using the serial port and bluez version 5.22. But my problem is that I can only auto connect to the PC once I have already manually paired to the device. So my aim is to have software running on the Edison which will be able to auto pair to a PC and connect without knowing the PC device id in advance, for the PC to then send commands and eventually files to the Edison.

I have been able to manually send serial commands to the Edison by using a Putty terminal and using rfcomm and the "cat /dev/rfcomm0" command. Using process below on the Edison:

rfkill unblock bluetooth
sdptool add -channel=22 SP
rfcomm watch /dev/rfcomm0 22 > /dev/null & bluetoothctl agent NoInputNoOutput default-agent discoverable on

"pair with Edison from PC and accept pairing on the Edison"

cat /dev/rfcomm0

"send text to Edison via Putty terminal com port"

So I have been trying to automate this process by writing C code on the Eclipse IDE and also by writing scripts running on the Edison but I have not been able to successfully send commands to the bluetoothctl function.

I have tried to send commands using the Eclipse IDE but when I send the following:

system("echo -e 'agent NoInputNoOutput\n | bluetoothctl");

On the Edison it reports "No agent is registered" and the following message:

(bluetoothctl:690): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 22 was not found when attempting to remove it

Also if I try to create a script file like the following:

#!/bin/sh
rfkill unblock bluetooth
sdptool add -channel=22 SP
sleep 1
bluetoothctl << EOF
agent NoInputNoOutput
EOF
sleep 1

Again it just report "No agent is registered".

I have been in communication with Intel support but I've got to a point where I don't think I can get any further and they have recommended that I contact you.

Kind regards

Jay

This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressees named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in respect of any information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and immediately destroy this e-mail and its attachments.