Re: Configuring a Bluetooth PAN server: can't find docs

Op 05-04-16 om 17:03 schreef Luiz Augusto von Dentz:
Hi Egbert,

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Egbert van der Wal <ewal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Short story: I'd really like to RTFM, but in all of my online quests I can't
find where it is. Where can I find documentation about bluez, configuration
files and pand?

With a bit more information: I'm trying to configure a device (Odroid XU4
running Ubuntu 14.04, using Bluez 4.101) to accept PAN-connections. Doing
this I want to provide the connecting user with a web interface to perform
some configuration tasks (such as connecting to a wifi).
Unfortunately 4.101 is a bit too old and I guess even NetworkManager
does support that.

The resulting connection will not provide internet access and will only be
used to expose access to an internal IP address (e.g. 10.0.0.1). I want the
device to basically accept any pairing request using a fixed, pre-configured
pin-code.

I've been trying to get this working for a while now using various howto's
but it seems to me that each and every one of them uses a different way to
configure Bluez, probably resulting from a different version. I basically
tried all of them and none seem to work (due to missing / invalid commands
or missing / ignored configuration files).
Have you tried connman tethering? https://01.org/connman/documentation

I couldn't find any documentation on bluez.org itself. The bluetoothd
man-page refers to a man-page of /etc/bluetooth/main.conf that doesn't seem
to exist, and the contents of /etc/bluetooth/main.conf also seem to be
ignored so I'm quite stuck here.
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/bluetooth/bluez.git/tree/doc/network-api.txt

Any pointers to any type of documentation that covers my version of bluez
and the steps to set this up would be highly appreciated.
Create a bridge and pass it to org.bluez.NetworkServer1.Register, the
process need to remain connected to D-Bus otherwise it will be
unregistered, but other than that it should be really simple.

Hi Luiz,

Thank you for the suggestion. The link you provided is a link to an API, not a link to documentation for the entire package and how all parts interoperate, including the available software utilities. Am I correct in concluding that such documentation does not exist, from an official source?

Anyway, I have been able to collect several bits and pieces from more forums and now have been able to create a Bluetooth NAP using the bt-network tool. The name of that tool was basically was I was looking for, combined with some documentation on how to set up the bridge that it works with.

BlueZ 4.101 is the latest version available on Ubuntu 14.04, the most recent LTS distribution of Ubuntu until a couple of days ago, so in that sense, it really isn't that old. And it turns out that NetworkManager is able to interface with BlueZ 4.101 on the other end fine in order to connect to the NAP.

Again, thanks for the help. I've been able to achieve what I attempted.

Kind regards,

Egbert van der Wal