Re: Why doesn't plugins/sixaxis.c set devices as Trusted?

Am 07.07.2015 um 07:11 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
On Tue, 2015-07-07 at 06:31 +0200, Alexander Holler wrote:
Am 06.07.2015 um 15:17 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
Hey,

I don't understand the reason why plugins/sixaxis.c doesn't set the
device as trusted when plugged in.

It's because of security. If you trust a bluetooth device on Linux,
you're trusting it for all services. In case of the sixaxis it means
you're not only trusting it (the BT-MAC) as an input device, but also
as
a network device.

Now if you trust any plugged in device which says it's a sixaxis, I
would tell my arduino to say it's an sixaxis with a MAC from one of
my
BT-dongles to get a magic device which gives me wireless remote
access
on every linux box with BT when I plug it in once.

That means you want user interaction, besides just plugging in a
device.

What should the pairing process look like then? Because the current
workflow is absolutely dreadful.

Pairing is something different than trusting a bluetooth device.

No idea what's your problem. If you remove the necessary user interaction to trust a device, you remove the security. Just plugging in an (anonymous) usb-device isn't usable as trust.

If Sony decided that's ok for the PS3 (a game console), it's one thing.

But you don't want a wireless remote connected second keyboard or even a network device if some just plugged in an anonymous usb-device which might even look totally different than as what it presents itself to the system.

Alexander Holler