Re: Device class not writeable via dbus

> On 16.04.2015, at 11:36, Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Marcus,
>
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Marcus Redeker <marcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> On 16.04.2015, at 10:15, Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Szymon, Marcus,

>>> It is possible to change at runtime by using systemd hostname plugin
>>> then change the org.freedesktop.hostname1.Chassis property, but Im not
>>> sure how easy is to change that. Anyway the point is that this should
>>> not changed by applications at will as it could break discovery
>>> filtering, even thought filtering by class is probably broken by
>>> design.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Luiz Augusto von Dentz
>>
>> This would allow to change the name of the bluetooth adapter but not the device class.
>> The name can already be changed using the read/write alias property which is no problem.
>
> Looks like you know more than us how BlueZ works, perhaps you want to
> tell me what is this code for:
>
> http://fpaste.org/211586/76181142/
>
> Btw, BLE don't really have a class it has appearance which is not
> quite the same, we may actually have a different property for
> appearance along with a main.conf entry to set it and also a
> conversion from chassis to appearance.
>

> --
> Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Sorry, if I stated something wrong. I did not check the BlueZ code.
I don’t know BlueZ at all and I am just trying to look at it from a user prospective who is trying to use dbus and BlueZ to create an application.

Looking at the complete file hostname.c, I can see that changing the Chassis property would indeed change the device class but only to predefinded values desktop, server, laptop, handset and tablet.
I will not be able to use it to change to HID device class 0x000540

-Marcus--