Re: [RFC] doc: Add EIR to device properties

Hi Scott,

>>> we could do that, but I would like to discuss this a bit more. For example we might not duplicate the information that we have properties for. For example device name or appearance.
>>
>> coming to think about it, we might should just focus on the manufacturer specific field and make sure that gets exposed over D-Bus. The other ones are Bluetooth SIG defined and we can define good properties for it.
>>

> The main missing SIG defined fields which don't have properties would be:
>
> - TX Power (CSSv4 1.5)

we should do the proper math here and provide Pathloss when discovered (again, similar disappearance to RSSI).

> - URL (https://www.bluetooth.org/DocMan/handlers/DownloadDoc.ashx?doc_id=287247)

Is that one new? Could be. That seems to be dead simple and can really just get its own property.

> All of the others are reasonably internal to BlueZ and not of interest
> to applications.

Examples would be Service Solicitation as mentioned before. However there bluetoothd should just combine all fields into a single array with UUID-128.

>> We could add a property with array{uint16,array{byte}} that allows us to provide all the manufacturer information we find. On BR/EDR they are pretty static and would just stay around. On LE they would be removed (same as RSSI) once the result becomes invalid. For dual-mode devices found on both transports we just combine them.
>>

> If multiple fields of manufacturer data for the same manufacturer are
> found, we'd just duplicate them in the array? e.g.
>
> [
>    ( 004C, [ 01, 08, ... ] ),
>    ( 004C, [ 02, 15, ... ] )
>  ]
>
> For a fruit-flavored device acting as both an Airdrop target and an
> iBeacon (this seems to be how they show up - but could be a side
> effect of one field being in AD and one in SR)

That is what I am thinking is the safest. Same as on BR/EDR they will give you the product name so you can pick the right icon. I also think that for manufacturer specific entries it is explicitly allowed to show up more than once.

Regards

Marcel