Re: minipcie bluetooth card not detected

On 2014-04-27 11:13, Dmitry Grebennikov wrote:
> On 27.04.2014 18:04, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Dmitry Grebennikov <dmitry.ew@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I bought new Intel Wireless 7260 ac + BT card recently and installed
>>> to my laptop.
>>> Wifi works out of box with iwlwifi module + firmware.
>>> But the bluetooth adapter isn't recognized at all.
>>> What could be the problem with it?
>>>
>>> The driver for this card is available and installed (btusb with intel
>>> bt firmware).
>>> lsusb shows no bluetooth adapter (see attachment).
>>> Hcitool scan reports that "Device is not available: No such device"
>>> Dmesg and lspci outputs are also attached.
>> Yes, doesn't look like there is any USB device is detected at all, so
>> drivers don't really matter.
>>
>>> BIOS is upgraded to the last available update.
>> Are you 100% sure that the mini-PCIe slot has USB properly wired up?
>> Did the previous module include any USB functions, or do you have some
>> other USB mini-PCIe module (e.g. a 3G modem) to test it with?
>>
>> Does the laptop have any other mini-PCIe slots where you can test the
>> 7260 module?
>>
>> My impression is that laptop vendors don't necessarily wire up and test
>> stuff they don't use in their own hardware configurations, like USB
>> support in a mini-PCIe slot for intended for PCIe-only wlan cards.
>>
>> I have installed the same 7260 module in two older laptops with mixed
>> results regarding the BT function. In both cases, the 7260 module
>> replaced an older PCIe-only wlan module. I had to put a piece of tape
>> over the D- and D+ pins to avoid the USB part being detected when
>> installing in an Acer 3810tz.  Otherwise the USB device was detected,
>> but reading the device descripor failed - resulting in annoying timeouts
>> both when the BIOS ran and later when Linux booted.  I have similar
>> issues with my Thinkpad X301, but only occasionally on resume.  So I
>> haven't yet disabled the USB part... I am hoping to fix the annoying
>> serialized probing on resume instead, but haven't gotten around to doing
>> that yet.
>>
>> I am pretty sure that both cases are caused by platform issues specific
>> to those laptop models, which were never intended to support any USB
>> module in those slots.
>>
>> But based on these results, I would not be surprised if there are
>> laptops out there with mini-PCIe slots completely without USB support.
>> That's actually better than the Acer variant IMHO, because you don't
>> have to figure out how to physically disable the USB pins yourself.
>>

>> Bjørn
> Bjørn,
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> My previous wireless card was Broadcom BCM94313HMGB, also with both wifi
> & bt support.
> Bluetooth adapter was always detected.
> But there were more pins on BCM card than on Intel (some Intel 7260 pins
> have ho wire).

> [...]
I'm having pretty much the same issues with a 7260AC on an Acer Aspire
V5-131, which came with a Atheros chip that had PCIe Wifi and USB
Bluetooth.  The original (Atheros) chip that came with it had issues
with Bluetooth, but I have tried it in other systems and had no issues
with Bluetooth in those, so I think those issues were with Acer's BIOS
not letting the OS properly manage the Bluetooth module.  I do not think
though that the Bluetooth issues I am having with the 7260 are the same
though, because I have tried it in other systems (which I know have
proper USB wiring in the mini-PCIe slots) and can't get it to work there
either.