Re: minipcie bluetooth card not detected

On 27.04.2014 18:04, Bjørn Mork wrote:
Dmitry Grebennikov <dmitry.ew@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hello,
I bought new Intel Wireless 7260 ac + BT card recently and installed
to my laptop.
Wifi works out of box with iwlwifi module + firmware.
But the bluetooth adapter isn't recognized at all.
What could be the problem with it?

The driver for this card is available and installed (btusb with intel
bt firmware).
lsusb shows no bluetooth adapter (see attachment).
Hcitool scan reports that "Device is not available: No such device"
Dmesg and lspci outputs are also attached.
Yes, doesn't look like there is any USB device is detected at all, so
drivers don't really matter.

BIOS is upgraded to the last available update.
Are you 100% sure that the mini-PCIe slot has USB properly wired up?
Did the previous module include any USB functions, or do you have some
other USB mini-PCIe module (e.g. a 3G modem) to test it with?

Does the laptop have any other mini-PCIe slots where you can test the
7260 module?

My impression is that laptop vendors don't necessarily wire up and test
stuff they don't use in their own hardware configurations, like USB
support in a mini-PCIe slot for intended for PCIe-only wlan cards.

I have installed the same 7260 module in two older laptops with mixed
results regarding the BT function. In both cases, the 7260 module
replaced an older PCIe-only wlan module. I had to put a piece of tape
over the D- and D+ pins to avoid the USB part being detected when
installing in an Acer 3810tz.  Otherwise the USB device was detected,
but reading the device descripor failed - resulting in annoying timeouts
both when the BIOS ran and later when Linux booted.  I have similar
issues with my Thinkpad X301, but only occasionally on resume.  So I
haven't yet disabled the USB part... I am hoping to fix the annoying
serialized probing on resume instead, but haven't gotten around to doing
that yet.

I am pretty sure that both cases are caused by platform issues specific
to those laptop models, which were never intended to support any USB
module in those slots.

But based on these results, I would not be surprised if there are
laptops out there with mini-PCIe slots completely without USB support.
That's actually better than the Acer variant IMHO, because you don't
have to figure out how to physically disable the USB pins yourself.

Bjørn
Bjørn,
Thanks for your answer.

My previous wireless card was Broadcom BCM94313HMGB, also with both wifi & bt support.
Bluetooth adapter was always detected.
But there were more pins on BCM card than on Intel (some Intel 7260 pins have ho wire).

May be the reason is more up-to-date mini-PCIe standard of Intel card, which is not supported by the PCIe slot of the motherboard ??
Intel have some information about the PCIe standard requirements here:
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031167.htm

If so, what could be the workarounds?
I now there are some adapters from mini-PCIe to SATA or USB.
But I'm not sure if the speed of connection would be the same as via mini-PCIe...

Dmitry Grebennikov