Re: Discovering LE advertisements programatically

>> I’m trying to find a good way to discover and retrieve LE advertisements programatically.
>>
>> My first shot was to try to use DBus. I was trying to extend what the test/test-discovery script is doing, but it seems using DBus I can only get notified of new devices being discovered. Is there a way to get the actual LE advertisement via DBus? The device properties seem not to contain the info from the advertisement PDU.
>>
>> If that’s not possible using DBus, is the way to go just using C?
>>
>> I also tried using command line, a combination of “hcitool lescan” and “hcidump”/“hcidump -R" gives what I need more or less (plain hcidump gives me the RSSI, hcidump -R gives me the raw packet that I need). Still, I guess there must be a better way.
>
> My suggestion would be to take a look at "hcitool lescan" for how it
> is done using C sockets. Or you can modify hcitool lescan to dump the
> full advertising report instead of just the name.

Indeed by modifying the source of the hcitool, lescan method (print_advertising_devices), I am able to get the advertisement content. However, I’d also like to get the RSSI - is it possible from that method? I have access to the open device (dd), and the evt_le_meta_event and le_advertising_info structures - but that doesn’t seem to be enough. There is a hci_read_rssi in lib/hci.c, but it requires a “handle” - I think it’s only useable if a conneciton is open.

An alternative route that I see is to extract some part of hcidump, where I can get access to the raw packet and the RSSI, having the whole frame at my disposal. But that seems a bit “hackish” :)

Thanks,
Adam

--
Adam Warski