Re: Short names on Extended Inquiry Result

Hi Alex,

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Alex Deymo <deymo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> I'm having a problem while comparing the BlueZ 5 and BlueZ 4 behavior
> regarding the name/alias of a device during scanning.
>
> On BlueZ 4 (at least on 4.99), there was a two steps discovery
> process. During the first 10 seconds, the adapter will look for new
> devices, and during the second 30 seconds, it will ask each device for
> further information.
>
> I have here devices like the Monster ClarityHD speakers, or the
> Creative WP-350 headsets. Those devices announce a short name with the
> Inquiry Result. btmon reveals a "HCI Event: Extended Inquiry Result"
> for each one with a short name of 9 chars, respectively "Monster C"
> and "Creative " (with a space at the end).
>
> BlueZ 4 will show this name during the first 10 seconds as the name of
> the device, but when the adapter goes to the second step, it will
> issue a "HCI Command: Remote Name Request" and get the full name, like
> "Creative WP-350 Headset" and update the property on the device, still
> during discovery.
>
> In the other hand, BlueZ 5 will not issue a "Remote Name Request"
> until you attempt a pairing. This is not the best user experience
> since no matter how long you leave your scan session on, you will
> never get the right name of the device, until you attempt a connection
> or a pairing with it.
>
> Even worse, if you had connected to the device before (and you have
> the long name in the bluez cache for example), if you scan for new
> devices and this device shows up in that scan, bluez will change the
> name to the short version.
>
> I'm thinking about sending a Remote Name Request to the new devices
> between the "> HCI Event: Inquiry Complete" and the "< HCI Command:
> Inquiry". What do you think about this approach? Do you have a better
> idea to solve this?

I don't know if this is what you already had in mind, but I would
start on the userspace side, src/adapter.c:4052
(update_found_devices()), and make it send the confirm name command in
the cases that we only have the short name. It should cause the remote
name to be requested.

> Thanks,
> Alex.
> --