Re: USB 2.0: No giveback comes for one submitted URB

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, amit nagal wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Vivek and Amit, are you two copies of the same person?
> No . Actually vivek's post to linux-usb forum failed . so i ended up
> posting for him.
> sorry for inconvinience .

No problem.

> >>  As urb processing is complete by the
> >> time urb->complete()
> >> is called , I think urb->use_count should be decremented first
> >> followed by urb completion handler call as below :-
> >
> > This is wrong.  Processing continues during urb->complete, which may
> > even resubmit the URB.
>
> but completion handler is called when urb is completed . Also with
> resubmit of URB new usb i/o will take place implying previous usb i/o
> is already completed . i am still not clear with the need to decrement
> urb->use_count
> after completion handler . can u please let us know a bit more
> regarding urb->use_count usage .

There's a difference between an URB and a USB transfer.  The transfer
completes before the completion handler runs, but the URB is still in
use -- and in fact the same URB can be used for many transfers.

The period of time covered by each increment of urb->use_count goes
from submission until after the completion handler returns.

> Also In usb.h comments for urb->use_count are "/* concurrent
> submissions counter */ " .
> does usbcore allows for concurrent submission of same urb ?

This refers to resubmissions made by the completion handler.  The
use_count is still 1 while the handler runs, and resubmission increases
the use_count to 2.  That's because there are two concurrent usages
going on: one for the transfer the just ended and one for the transfer
that's just starting.

> > Now, maybe your problem is that somehow urb->reject is getting set to 0
> > at the wrong time.  You should check its value as well as the value of> urb->use_count.
> Thanks for pointers . we will definately look into both fields values .

Alan Stern