Re: Switching between SBC and MPEG audio on headsets

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Arun,
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011, Arun Raghavan wrote:
>> I've been trying to set up PulseAudio to be able to switch the A2DP sink
>> dynamically between SBC and MPEG modes. I've got this working now [1], but I
>> did face one problem on the bluez side. When sending a reconfigure request, the
>> request always goes to the SEID that was used previously (=> always to the SBC
>> SEID). Trying to reconfigure for MPEG therefore results the headset returning
>> an error. I'm not very familiar with how this is supposed to work, but the
>> patch following this mail seems to work (I can now switch back and forth
>> between SBC and MPEG modes). It basically forces figuring out what remote SEP
>> to talk to while reconfiguring.
>>
>> Is this the right approach?
>
> I'm not sure about the places where you set the value to NULL, but the
> place in close_cfm which you remove isn't acceptable as such. It was
> originally created to fix the issue reported in this thread:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-bluetooth&m=129190286303247&w=2
>
> Only a fix which doesn't break the use-case reported there can be
> accepted upstream. FWIW, the commit that introduced the fix is de96fcd8.

Also the solution should consider a transition and not dropping the
stream completely before configuring the other, otherwise errors may
cause a complete disconnect just to switch between endpoints. Actually
I would suggest configuring both endpoint since the beginning so that
we only need to suspend/resume to switch between them, but I don't
think many headsets would be able to handle this situation.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz
Computer Engineer