Re: [bug report] Reproducible pairing loss after reboot / Mediatek RZ616 [partly resolved / probably not a Bluez bug]

On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 12:38 PM Jonas Özbay <usul@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Luiz,
>
> Luiz Augusto von Dentz:
> > Hi Jonas,
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 5:01 AM Jonas Özbay <usul@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello Bluetooth List,
> >>
> >> this is a first post here as I found no other place to report bugs. Please forgive if I do not report according to the expected format or missed any additional information and point me to the respective guidelines - thank you!
> >>
> >> ==Problem summary:==
> >> Bluetooth pairing with a mouse is lost after system reboot. The pairing has to be removed and a new pairing initiated for being able to use the mouse again.
> >>
> >> ==System specifications:==
> >> Framework Laptop 16 (Batch 7)
> >> CPU: Ryzen 7 7840HS
> >> GPU: AMD RX 7700S
> >> WiFi/BT controller: Mediatek RZ616
> >> Linux Kernel: 6.9.7-200.fc40.x86_64
> >> Distro: Fedora 40
> >> Bluez version: 5.76-1.fc40
> >> Peripheral device: Cherry Gentix BT
> >>
> >> ==Reproduction steps:==
> >> 1) Pair the Bluetooth mouse via GUI or bluetoothctl
> >> 2) The mouse will now work as expected
> >> 3) Reboot the system
> >> 4) The mouse does not work, the GUI might switch between "connected/disconnected"
> >> 5) start btmon
> >> 6) clicking the left mouse button produced the attached btmon log
> >
> > Weird, it is doing a pairing request right away:
> >
> > < ACL Data TX: Handle 512 flags 0x00 dlen 11
> >
> > #11 [hci0] 2.185573
> >        SMP: Pairing Request (0x01) len 6
> >          IO capability: NoInputNoOutput (0x03)
> >          OOB data: Authentication data not present (0x00)
> >          Authentication requirement: No bonding, No MITM, SC, No
> > Keypresses, CT2 (0x28)
> >          Max encryption key size: 16
> >          Initiator key distribution: <none> (0x08)
> >          Responder key distribution: IdKey LinkKey (0x0a)
> >
> > But it is doing No bonding, so perhaps that is the real problem here
> > since that indicates to bluetoothd not to store the keys. The No
> > Bonding is controlled by HCI_BONDABLE flag which is set by
> > MGMT_OP_SET_BONDABLE which by default is false but is automatically
> > set to true once a pairing agent is registered, try reproducing this
> > with bluetoothctl and if you are not able to this must be gnome/fedora
> > not registering an agent.
> >
> >> Sometimes btmon also displays the following errors after MGMT Event: Device disconnected (sorry, console cut them, could not capture to file):
> >> bluetoothd[2974]: = profiles/input/hog-lib.c:proto_mode_read_cb() Protocol Mode characteristic read failed: Request attribute has encountered an...   14.720255
> >> bluetoothd[2974]: = profiles/input/hog-lib.c:report_reference_cb() Read Report Reference descriptor failed: Request attribute has encountered an...   14.720368
> >> bluetoothd[2974]: = profiles/input/hog-lib.c:report_reference_cb() Read Report Reference descriptor failed: Request attribute has encountered an...   14.720401
> [...]

@Bastien Nocera do you happen to know why gnome not register a pairing
agent? Ive seem quite a few reports of things not working after
rebooting lately which hints to No-bonding pairing happening or
perhaps fedora uses main.conf:AlwaysPairable?

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz