Re: [RFC] Bluetooth: Use non-flushable pb flag by default for ACL data on capable chipsets.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Andrei Emeltchenko wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Mat Martineau <mathewm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<skipped>
There is one more thing missing:  Even though there is an L2CAP socket
option to set flush_to, and the flush_to is passed around during L2CAP
configuration, there is no use of the "Write Automatic Flush Timeout" HCI
command to tell the baseband what the flush timeout is!  Since the flush
timeout is shared across all connections on the ACL, how should BlueZ handle
the case where different flush timeouts are set on connections that share
the same ACL?  (My guess is that either the longest or shortest timeout
should be used, but there are good arguments either way)

I would suggest bluetoothd to take care about setting Flush Timeout. There is of course possibility to have sockopt for timeout and send HCI command but this looks like a dirty hack.

I think bluetoothd can read compare and write new flush timeout value.

There is *already* a sockopt for flush timeout (flush_to in l2cap_options, it was added before 2005), but it is not terribly useful because it does not configure the baseband.

One more piece of background information: The spec requires the default flush timeout to be infinite, so if no "Write Automatic Flush Timeout" command is sent, none of this flush code will accomplish anything. Android has customized their version of BlueZ to send this command for A2DP connections, with certain BR/EDR basebands.

I don't have any major objection to managing this setting from bluetoothd. My only minor objection is that it requires an application to manipulate the setting via DBus instead of using the existing sockopt - it would be confusing to have both available, but I suppose the sockopt could be deprecated or made read-only. The flush timeout would seem to fit well as a device property.

--
Mat Martineau
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum