Re: HDP proposed API(0.5)

Hi Santiago,

Sorry for the delay on the reply.

* Santiago Carot-Nemesio <scarot@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2010-05-18 11:28:40 +0200]:

> Hello Gustavo,
>

> > MCAP in kernel gives zero-copy communication and just one socket to the
> > HDP API. The better of both UNIX socket and pipes options.
> >

> That's right I agree with you, but the main question here is not based
> in hiding MCAP reconnection, because future profiles using MCAP may be
> concern about above reconnection. Please, remember that nothing about
> hiding reconnections are mentioned in MCAP specification. However,
> reconnection are exposed as deseable capability in MCAP that upper
> profiles can use.
>
> In other hands, in particular case of HDP, we want to hide reconnection
> process to application layer because ISO/IEEE11073-20601 is transport
> agnostic, that means for example, a manager or agent sending or
> receiving APDUs don't be concern about such issues in transpiort layer
> (neither MCAP nor HDP). As you can see, the problem isn't in MCAP but in
> HDP<-->App to achieve reconnection transparency. That's is better
> explained in ISO/IEEE11073-20601 and some references can be found in HDP
> white paper.

Exactly. I'm not trying to make reconnection transparent at MCAP level.
What I said is that we can achieve reconnection transparency on the
HDP <--> App level doing MCAP in kernel.

I'm not saying that MCAP should be in kernel, I'm just trying to address
advantages and disadvantages of both implementation.

--
Gustavo F. Padovan
http://padovan.org