Re: BlueZ GSoC 2010

Hey,

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 22:50 -0300, Vinicius Gomes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> BlueZ just got accepted as an organization for this year's Google
> Summer of Code.
>
> There is a small list of project ideas here[1], for the next days we
> need to polish it and add more content. Any help is appreciated.
>
> We are also looking for mentors, if this idea interests you, please
> contact me off-list or go to #bluez-gsoc at freenode, this is also
> where most of the discussion regarding GSoC will take place, in case
> you just want to follow it.
>
> As always, patches and suggestions are welcome ;-)

A couple of comments:
- Is AVRCP 1.4 support really a full Summer's work? Could be with
PulseAudio or application integration?
- The "any" adapter work is a waste of resources, as I've mentioned in
the past on the list.
- The VDP support probably needs kernel-level hacking as well, to avoid
being constrained to one of the supported frameworks, and create a
user-space driver for the device (using CUSE?)

I'd be happy to do testing and some integration work for both the VDP
and DUN works.

I could also add:
- Port gnome-user-share to obexd, instead of obex-data-server (easy)
- Port osso-gwobex test suite and extend it (medium)
(Those 2 could be combined into one project)
- Printer (initial) setup integration in gnome-bluetooth (medium)
- Extended hostname support (using xdg-hostname) (medium)
- Kernel driver and user-space changes for Sixaxis joypad (including
rumble). The bdaddr assignment would be done in the kernel, with a
helper in bluetoothd, extra functionality would be added in the kernel
for the other features (medium)

Cheers