Re: Sony BD Remote pairing problems with new distributions

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Jim Faulkner wrote:

My sony BD remote (aka PS3 remote) requires a convoluted process to get it working each and every time my computer boots.

I just wanted to follow up on this. I have managed to get my BD remote permanently paired with my computer. I no longer need to to go through the process of pairing it each time the computer boots.

The problem is, I'm not sure exactly how I got it working. I had resigned myself to the fact that it wasn't going to automatically pair at boot time, so I was playing around with "hidd --connect" and the cakemote.py script, seeing which would work best to pair the device at each boot.

I tried running "hidd --connect (hardware address)" to get the remote paired. It said that it successfully paired, and "hidd --show" showed the BD remote device, however I wasn't able to get any output from the bdremoted daemon when pressing keys on the remote.

So, I tried pairing it with cakemote.py, but got a "connection refused" error, presumably because the bluetooth stack thought it was already paired. I then ran "hidd --killall", then cakemote.py, ctrl-cing out once the device was paired.

And since then, the remote is working fine without out any need to pair again. I'm not sure exactly what I did... I have used cakemote.py to pair the device many times before without this result. But its nice to have it working.

Jim