Re: Packaging question

Hi Marcel,

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Stefan,

> it seems that everybody is keeping the package names as they are. So
> mainly you have bluez-utils and bluez-libs (libbluetooth in case of
> Debian).

That's fine with me. I will also have to change the name to libbluetooth3 too
because of package naming conventions (library packages need to be named after
the librarys SONAME), but that should be fine.

> The bluez-audio is the wrong approach and I commented on it already
> multiple times. Check the Fedora packages. So actual audio plugin should
> be part of bluez-utils since it has no dependencies whatsoever. And yes,
> it makes sense to have it without the ALSA and GStreamer plugins.

Ok.

> Check http://people.redhat.com/bnocera/bluez/bluez.spec for details.

Cool. I searched for some example bluez-4 spec file but did not find it ;-)

> Personally I like to see the bluez-utils package vanish and we are just
> using bluez as main package name. Adding a virtual package bluetooth
> that install all BlueZ packages would be nice to have, too.
>
> This would result in the following package names:
>
> 	bluez
> 	bluez-libs
> 	bluez-libs-devel
> 	bluez-cups
> 	bluez-alsa
> 	bluez-gstreamer

I like that too. I'd probably call it just "bluez-devel", since I won't have a
bluez-libs (and libbluetooth3-devel is bad).

What's important for me is that it is somehow consistent across distributions
(which might also make it easier for you, in case the usual "cannot compile
$foo" complaint is on the list, just tell them "install bluez-devel or
bluez-libs-devel", no need to check which distribution the reporter is
actually using).

So for now I'll go for the above list of packages, with libbluetooth3 instead
of bluez-libs.

Thanks,

	Stefan
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices            |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)