Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Hybrid SMR HDDs / Zone Domains & Realms

On 3/1/23 18:03, Damien Le Moal wrote:
But that is the issue: zones in the middle of each domain can be
activated/deactivated dynamically using zone activate command. So there is
always the possibility of ending up with a swiss cheese lun, full of hole of
unusable LBAs because the other domains (other LUN) activated some zones which
deactivate the equivalent zone(s) in the other domain.

With your idea, the 2 luns would not be independent as they both would be using
LBAs are mapped against a single set of physical blocks. Zone activate command
allows controlling which domains has the mapping active. So activating a zone in
one domains results in the zone[s] using the same mapping in the other domain to
be deactivated.

Hi Damien,

Your reply made me realize that I should have provided more information. What I'm proposing is the following:
* Do not use any of the domains & realms features from ZBC-2.
* Do not make any zones visible to the host before configuration of the logical units has finished. Only make the logical units visible to the host after configuration of the logical units has finished. Do not support reconfiguration of the logical units while these are in use by the host.
* Only support active zones. Do not support inactive zones.
* Introduce a new mechanism for configuring the logical units.

This is not a new idea. The approach described above is already supported since considerable time by UFS devices. The provisioning mechanism supported by UFS devices is defined in the UFS standard and is not based on SCSI commands.

Bart.