Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Hybrid SMR HDDs / Zone Domains & Realms

On 3/1/23 15:34, Khazhy Kumykov wrote:
  - There’s already support in the kernel for marking zones
online/offline and cmr/smr, but this is fixed, not dynamic. Would
there be hiccups with allowing zones to come online/offline while
running?

It may be easier to convince HDD vendors to modify their firmware such that the conventional and SMR zones are reported to the Linux kernel as different logical units rather than adding domains & realms support in the Linux kernel. If anyone else has another opinion, feel free to share that opinion.

Whether or not others agree with my opinion, I think this is a good topic for LSF/MM.

Thanks,

Bart.