Re: [LSF/MM/BPF BoF]: extend UBLK to cover real storage hardware

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 10:27:07AM -0500, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 08:51:27AM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:

> > > Does this actually prevent ublk servers with multiple ublk devices or is
> > > it just sub-optimal?
> >
> > It is former, ublk can't support multiple devices which share single host
> > because duplicated tag can be seen in host side, then io is failed.
>
> The kernel sees two independent block devices so there is no issue
> within the kernel.

This way either wastes memory, or performance is bad since we can't
make a perfect queue depth for each ublk device.

> Userspace can do its own hw tag allocation if there are shared storage
> controller resources (e.g. NVMe CIDs) to avoid duplicating tags.
>
> Have I missed something?

Please look at lib/sbitmap.c and block/blk-mq-tag.c and see how many
hard issues fixed/reported in the past, and how much optimization done
in this area.

In theory hw tag allocation can be done in userspace, but just hard to
do efficiently:

1) it has been proved as one hard task for sharing data efficiently in
SMP, so don't reinvent wheel in userspace, and this work could take
much more efforts than extending current ublk interface, and just
fruitless

2) two times tag allocation slows down io path much

2) even worse for userspace allocation, cause task can be killed and
no cleanup is done, so tag leak can be caused easily

Thanks,
Ming