Re: [LSF/MM/BPF BoF]: extend UBLK to cover real storage hardware

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 02:13:59PM -0500, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 11:47:31AM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:

> > > Can you give an example that shows exactly where a problem is hit?
> > >
> > > I took a quick look at the ublk source code and didn't spot a place
> > > where it prevents a single ublk server process from handling multiple
> > > devices.
> > >
> > > Regarding "host resources(such as tag)", can the ublk server deal with
> > > that in userspace? The Linux block layer doesn't have the concept of a
> > > "host", that would come in at the SCSI/NVMe level that's implemented in
> > > userspace.
> > >
> > > I don't understand yet...
> >
> > blk_mq_tag_set is embedded into driver host structure, and referred by queue
> > via q->tag_set, both scsi and nvme allocates tag in host/queue wide,
> > that said all LUNs/NSs share host/queue tags, current every ublk
> > device is independent, and can't shard tags.
>
> Does this actually prevent ublk servers with multiple ublk devices or is
> it just sub-optimal?

It is former, ublk can't support multiple devices which share single host
because duplicated tag can be seen in host side, then io is failed.

> Also, is this specific to real storage hardware? I guess userspace
> NVMe-over-TCP or iSCSI initiators would be affected  regardless of
> whether they simply use the Sockets API (software) or userspace device
> drivers (hardware).
>
> Sorry for all these questions, I think I'm a little confused because you
> said "doesn't support such devices" and I thought this discussion was
> about real storage hardware. Neither of these seem to apply to the
> tag_set issue.

The reality is that both scsi and nvme(either virt or real hardware)
supports multi LUNs/NSs, so tag_set issue has to be solved, or
multi-LUNs/NSs has to be supported.

> > > From https://spdk.io/doc/system_configuration.html:
> > >
> > >   Running SPDK as non-privileged user
> > >
> > >   One of the benefits of using the VFIO Linux kernel driver is the
> > >   ability to perform DMA operations with peripheral devices as
> > >   unprivileged user. The permissions to access particular devices still
> > >   need to be granted by the system administrator, but only on a one-time
> > >   basis. Note that this functionality is supported with DPDK starting
> > >   from version 18.11.
> > >
> > > This is what I had described in my previous reply.
> >
> > My reference on spdk were mostly from spdk/nvme doc.
> > Just take quick look at spdk code, looks both vfio and direct
> > programming hardware are supported:
> >
> > 1) lib/nvme/nvme_vfio_user.c
> > const struct spdk_nvme_transport_ops vfio_ops {
> > 	.qpair_submit_request = nvme_pcie_qpair_submit_request,
>
> Ignore this, it's the userspace vfio-user UNIX domain socket protocol
> support. It's not kernel VFIO and is unrelated to what we're discussing.
> More info on vfio-user: https://spdk.io/news/2021/05/04/vfio-user/

Not sure, why does .qpair_submit_request point to
nvme_pcie_qpair_submit_request?

> > 2) lib/nvme/nvme_pcie.c
> > const struct spdk_nvme_transport_ops pcie_ops = {
> > 	.qpair_submit_request = nvme_pcie_qpair_submit_request
> > 		nvme_pcie_qpair_submit_tracker
> > 			nvme_pcie_qpair_submit_tracker
> > 				nvme_pcie_qpair_ring_sq_doorbell
> >
> > but vfio dma isn't used in nvme_pcie_qpair_submit_request, and simply
> > write/read mmaped mmio.
>
> I have only a small amount of SPDK code experienced, so this might be

Me too.

> wrong, but I think the NVMe PCI driver code does not need to directly
> call VFIO APIs. That is handled by DPDK/SPDK's EAL operating system
> abstractions and device driver APIs.
>
> DMA memory is mapped permanently so the device driver doesn't need to
> perform individual map/unmap operations in the data path. NVMe PCI
> request submission builds the NVMe command structures containing device
> addresses (i.e. IOVAs when IOMMU is enabled).

If IOMMU isn't used, it is physical address of memory.

Then I guess you may understand why I said this way can't be done by
un-privileged user, cause driver is writing memory physical address to
device register directly.

But other driver can follow this approach if the way is accepted.

> This code probably supports both IOMMU (VFIO) and non-IOMMU operation.

> > > From the page you linked:
> > >
> > >   IOMMU Support

> > >   This is a future-proof, hardware-accelerated solution for performing
> > >   DMA operations into and out of a user space process and forms the
> > >   long-term foundation for SPDK and DPDK's memory management strategy.
> > >   We highly recommend that applications are deployed using vfio and the
> > >   IOMMU enabled, which is fully supported today.
> > >
> > > Yes, SPDK supports running without IOMMU, but they recommend running
> > > with the IOMMU.

> > > When using VFIO (recommended by the docs), SPDK uses long-lived DMA
> > > mappings. Here are places in the SPDK/DPDK source code where VFIO DMA
> > > mapping is used:
> > > https://github.com/spdk/spdk/blob/master/lib/env_dpdk/memory.c#L1371
> > > https://github.com/spdk/dpdk/blob/e89c0845a60831864becc261cff48dd9321e7e79/lib/eal/linux/eal_vfio.c#L2164
> >
> > I meant spdk nvme implementation.
>
> I did too. The NVMe PCI driver will use the PCI driver APIs and the EAL
> (operating system abstraction) will deal with IOMMU APIs (VFIO)
> transparently.

> > > Yes, there is a trade-off. Over the years the use of unsafe approaches
> > > has been discouraged and replaced (/dev/kmem, uio -> VFIO, etc). As
> > > secure boot, integrity architecture, and stuff like that becomes more
> > > widely used, it's harder to include features that break memory isolation
> > > in software in mainstream distros. There can be an option to sacrifice
> > > memory isolation for performance and some users may be willing to accept
> > > the trade-off. I think it should be an option feature though.
> > >
> > > I did want to point out that the statement that "direct programming
> > > hardware in userspace can be done by root only" is false (see VFIO).
> >
> > Unfortunately not see vfio is used when spdk/nvme is operating hardware
> > mmio.
>
> I think my responses above answered this, but just to be clear: with
> VFIO PCI userspace mmaps the BARs and performs direct accesses to them
> (load/store instructions). No VFIO API wrappers are necessary for MMIO
> accesses, so the code you posted works fine with VFIO.

> > > It is not necessary to perform a DMA mapping for each IO. ublk's
> > > existing model is sufficient:
> > > 1. ublk server allocates I/O buffers and VFIO DMA maps them on startup.
> > > 2. At runtime the ublk server provides these I/O buffers to the kernel,
> > >    no further DMA mapping is required.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately there's still the kernel<->userspace copy that existing
> > > ublk applications have, but there's no new overhead related to VFIO.
> >
> > We are working on ublk zero copy for avoiding the copy.
>
> I'm curious if it's possible to come up with a solution that doesn't
> break memory isolation. Userspace controls the IOMMU with Linux VFIO, so
> if kernel pages are exposed to the device, then userspace will also be
> able to access them (e.g. by submitting a request that gets the device
> [...]

spdk nvme already exposes physical address of memory and uses the
physical address to program hardware directly. And I think it can't be
done by un-trusted user.

But I agree with you that this way should be avoided as far as possible.

> > > Sure, it's possible to break memory isolation. Breaking memory isolation
> > > isn't specific to ublk servers that access hardware. The same unsafe
> > > zero-copy approach would probably also work for regular ublk servers.
> > > This is basically bringing back /dev/kmem :).

> > > No extra syscall is required because IORING_OP_READ is used to read the
> > > eventfd, but maybe you were referring to bypassing the
> > > file->f_op->read() code path?
> >
> > OK, missed that, it is usually done in the following way:
> >
> > 	io_uring_prep_poll_add(sqe, evfd, POLLIN)
> > 	sqe->flags |= IOSQE_IO_LINK;
> >     sqe = io_uring_get_sqe(&ring);
> >     io_uring_prep_readv(sqe, evfd, &vec, 1, 0);
> >     sqe->flags |= IOSQE_IO_LINK;
> >
> > When I get time, will compare the two and see which one performs better.
>
> That would be really interesting.

Anyway, interrupt notification looks not one big deal.

Thanks,
Ming