Re: [GIT PULL] Block fixes for 5.9-rc2

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 3:09 PM Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had to look for that, because it obviously didn't complain for me.
> Looks like it's the one in drivers/block/rnbd/rnbd-srv.c which changes
> from PTR_ERR() to using 'err' which is indeed an int.

You clearly didn't even build the patch you applied.

You can claim it's some odd uninteresting file, but then you damn well
shouldn't have applied the patch if you can't even be bothered to
compile-test it.

It really is that simple - this is not some odd configuration that has
a build problem because it's esoteric.  That file *will* warn if you
compile it. I don't think you can avoid it.

So it's literally a patch that cannot have been build-tested AT ALL.

I don't see why you even make excuses for it.

Send me the fixes part of the pull, no new features, and no untested garbage.

And no, I'm not your test build server that you send crap to and then
when I notice it was broken you try to fix it up.

So it's your choice. If you want to let it simmer in linux-next for
better testing and sending it to me for 5.10, I guess that's a choice
too.

But I'm very very fed up with people sending me stuff that they didn't
care enough to even check for warnings for. And no, I don't want to
get some minimal fixup. I want a clean tree.

                      Linus