Re: [GIT PULL] Block fixes for 5.9-rc2

On 8/21/20 3:58 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 1:51 PM Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>> Some general fixes, and a bit of late stragglers that missed -rc1 and
>> really should have been there. Nothing major, though. I
>
> Pulled, test-built, and unpulled.
>
> This crap doesn't even compile cleanly.
>
> It is printing out an 'int' using '%ld', so nobody could possibly have
> compile-tested this.

I had to look for that, because it obviously didn't complain for me.
Looks like it's the one in drivers/block/rnbd/rnbd-srv.c which changes
from PTR_ERR() to using 'err' which is indeed an int.

> And as I've said elsewhere - compile-testing doesn't mean "show it to
> a compiler".
>
> It means "look at what the compiler says" too. Otherwise it's not
> compile-testing, it's just throwing it away.
>
> So send me a properly tested and *MINIMAL* pull request. because I
> will not take this crap, and I will not take anythign that *looks*&
> like this crap.
>
> Real fixes, and fixes ONLY.

I think you're overreacting here. I *always* test these pulls, it's run
through the test box with the tests there, and it's always running on my
laptop a day or two in advance. Typing it right now from that branch.
Stop making it sound like it's not being tested at all, according to the
above it obviously never saw a compiler which is just blatantly untrue.

I obviously missed a *warning* because I don't have any way to test that
part and it's not part of my config. Hardly seems like a shootable
offense. I have to defer to the maintainer there, which did ack this
patch.

This is all fixes and innocous changes otherwise. My suggestion here
would be:

1) You pull it, change that rnbd mistake at merge time.
2) I queue a patch on top with that single change.

Let me know what you prefer, and can we please tone down the aggression
here?

--
Jens Axboe