Re: [LSFMMBPF TOPIC] long live LFSMMBPF

On 6 Mar 2020, at 14:41, James Bottomley wrote:

On Fri, 2020-03-06 at 14:27 -0500, Chris Mason wrote:
On 6 Mar 2020, at 9:35, Josef Bacik wrote:
[...]
4) Planning becomes much simpler.  I've organized miniconf's at
plumbers before, it is far simpler than LSFMMBPF.  You only have
to worry about one thing, is this presentation useful.  I no longer
have to worry about am I inviting the right people, do we have
enough money to cover the space.  Is there enough space for
everybody?  Etc.

We’ve talked about working closely with KS, Plumbers and the
Linuxfoundation to make a big picture map of the content and
frequency  for these confs.

And, lest anyone think we all operate in isolation, we do get together
periodically to discuss venues, selection and combination.  The last
big in-person meeting on this topic was at Plumbers in Vancouver in
2019, where we had Plumbers, KS/MS, LSF/MM and the LF conference people
all represented.

Yeah, there’s a lot of cross-over between all the PCs, so we have lots of chances to talk it through.

I’m sure Angela is having a busy few weeks, but lets work with her
to schedule this and talk it through.  OSS is a good fit  in terms of
being flexible enough to fit us in, hopefully we can make  that work.

And, for everyone who gave us feedback in the Plumbers surveys that co-
locating with a big conference is *not* what you want because of
various problems like hallway track disruptions due to other conference
traffic and simply the difficulty of finding people, the current model
under consideration is one conference organization (the LF) but two
separate venues, sort of like OpenStack used to do for their big
conference and design summit to minimize disruption and increase
developer focus.

Agreed, but I do like the idea of doing the plenary in the bigger conference sessions.

-chris