Re: [LSFMMBPF TOPIC] long live LFSMMBPF

On 6 Mar 2020, at 9:35, Josef Bacik wrote:

Many people have suggested this elsewhere, but I think we really need to seriously consider it. Most of us all go to the Linux Plumbers conference. We could accomplish our main goals with Plumbers without having to deal with all of the above problems.

I think James and Ted have covered pretty well why Plumbers isn’t a great fit, but I agree with the overall idea.

1) The invitation process. This goes away. The people/companies that want to discuss things with the rest of us can all get to plumbers the normal way. We get new blood that we may miss through the invitation process because they can simply register for Plumbers on their own.

Lsfmmmbop has always been most useful when focused on smaller and tighter sessions that aren’t well suited to open audiences. I think the BPF and MM sessions are generally really happy with their size and level of discussion, while the FS one would benefit from a larger crowd split up by project. This is much easier to do if we’re attached to a bigger conference, where the plenary sessions are available to the whole conf and the breakout sessions are smaller and completely project focused.

I think we’ve outgrown the original name, but I’d still call it something, we’ll need rooms and t-shirts and maybe a group event that we need to fund.

2) Presentations. We can have track miniconfs where we still curate talks, but there could be much less of them and we could just use the time to do what LSFMMBPF was meant to do, put us all in a room so we can hack on things together.

Agree here, although kernel recipes is a great example of a conf people visit for the presentations.

3) BOFs. Now all of the xfs/btrfs/ext4 guys can show up, because again they don't have to worry about some invitation process, and now real meetings can happen between people that really want to talk to each other face to face.

4) Planning becomes much simpler. I've organized miniconf's at plumbers before, it is far simpler than LSFMMBPF. You only have to worry about one thing, is this presentation useful. I no longer have to worry about am I inviting the right people, do we have enough money to cover the space. Is there enough space for everybody? Etc.

We’ve talked about working closely with KS, Plumbers and the Linuxfoundation to make a big picture map of the content and frequency for these confs. I’m sure Angela is having a busy few weeks, but lets work with her to schedule this and talk it through. OSS is a good fit in terms of being flexible enough to fit us in, hopefully we can make that work.

-chris