Re: 5.1.21 Dell 2950 terrible swraid5 I/O performance with swraid on top of Perc 5/i raid0/jbod

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 11:37:09PM +0500, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> > > Default Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache if Bad BBU
> > > Current Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache if Bad BBU
> > > Default Access Policy: Read/Write
> > > Current Access Policy: Read/Write
> > > Disk Cache Policy   : Disabled
>
> So does it have a BBU? (Battery backup unit)

Yes, it does and it's working.
But because I found that with write caching enabled, it seemd to take all
the writes from the raid rebuild in a big queue, and starving I/O for others
requests that I wanted to happen "right now" (like /bin/ls actually being
loaded and running), and reading how the perc 5/i is a crap card, I turned
off its IO caching, leaving the work to linux' block buffer and the 32GB of
RAM in the server that are mostly allocated to disk IO caching.

> > I tried to disable the card's write cache to let linux and its 32GB of
> > RAM, do it better, but I didn't see a real improvement:
>
> I'd expect that on the contrary, you should look for ways to enable it, and
> force-enable even without that BBU (in case of lack of one), because it feels
> like what you did is disable disks' own write buffering, and not (only) the
> card's!

Yes, you may be correct on that. I can re-enable it, but it was terrible
with it on, too.

> What you are observing seems to me like what "dd" does with "oflag=dsync" (and
> comparable performance that it gets). Definitely feels like it's in some
> "extra safe mode" and, say, every 4KB piece of data leads to full flush to
> disk before accepting to write the next 4KB.

That sounds plausible indeed.

> More things to try, check if it's possible to set up disks not as 1-member
> RAID0, but 1-member "linear" ("JBOD"), or even 1-member RAID1, who knows maybe
> some of this would work better.

Assuming I can do this without losing the entire filesystem, I can try, but
if it can't do single drive raid0, I doubt changing this to single drive
raid1 would make things much better.
Then again, once you're hitting things that aren't working as they should...

I have an H700 in the mail that should arrive tonight, I'll try swapping
that first and see what happens.

Thanks for the answer,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....