Re: I/O error on cache device can cause user observable errors

> 2024年2月3日 01:48,Arnaldo Montagner <armont@xxxxxxxxxx> 写道:
>
> Thanks for clarifying.
>
> Regarding the documentation, the first sentence in
> https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/bcache.html#error-handling says:
> "Bcache tries to transparently handle IO errors to/from the cache
> device without affecting normal operation"

Oh I see. This is for temporary I/O failure or error. If cache is clear and an I/O error encountered, bcache may fetch data from backing device.
Such operations are transparent to upper layer code.

> I guess I interpreted it in absolute terms, as some kind of guarantee
> that normal operation would not be affected.

For devices failure or absence, bcache need to make upper layer code to be aware and hand the aftermath when necessary. Your situation is in this category.

Thanks.

Coly Li