Re: bcache issues on PPC64LE

On 2018/7/10 2:51 AM, Cameron Berkenpas wrote:
> Some other details I just remembered.

Hi Cameron,

> And I can trigger this hang whether the bcache device (ie, /dev/bcache0)
> is formatted or not.
>
> While re-attaching the cache device hangs, I can still mount the
> filesystem... but any attempt to access the filesystem will hang
> indefinitely (ie, ls).
>
> While PPC64LE is PPC64 in little endian mode, is it possible there's
> some codepaths that are assuming PPC is always big endian? I've heard
> this is the case with some userspace software.

So far bcache does not support big endian, and I am working on it at
mean time. From the kernel and user space tool, I don't see any explicit
big endian code indeed. So if PPC64LE is similar to x86-64, I will take
this as a deadlock issue. But you are sure this won't happen on x64-64
machine, then there should be some corner case that people neglected before.

Thanks.

Coly Li

[snipped]