Re: bcache issues on PPC64LE

On 2018/7/7 11:55 AM, Cameron Berkenpas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently tried to play around with bcache on some PPC64LE (POWER9,
> little endian mode) hardware, and I've run into some issues.
>
> I can format a device as a backing store no problem. If I never attach a
> caching device, it never has problems.
>
> I can format a caching device no problem, I can attach it without issue
> and use the cached bcache volume without issue.
>
> If I detach the caching device, no perceivable issues. However, once I
> attempted to re-attach the caching device, bcache hangs. For example, if
> I try to cat an arbitrary item under /sys,  (such as 'cat
> /sys/block/bcache0/bcache/sequential_cutoff'), it will hang indefinitely.
>
> If I reboot with the caching device attached, then after the system
> comes back up, neither the caching and the backing volumes will be
> recognized as bcache devices and are unmountable, and both must have
> make-bcache run on them.
>
> If I never attach a caching device to the backing device, the backing
> never has problems. It appears to stay healthy between reboots. I've had
> uptimes of over 8 hours without a caching device without issue. No sort
> of load was put on the volume, but otherwise, no issues.
>
> The RAID controller I'm using (details below) is a very thoroughly
> tested device that reports no issues. Specifically, the RAID controller
> was tested on an x86 machine that's using bcache in the same manner as
> here without issue.
>
> What is the appropriate place to file a bug against this issue?
>
> I've tried against multiple filesystems:
> xfs
> ext4
> btrfs
>
> I've tried against multiple kernels:
> linux-image-4.16.0-2-powerpc64le (stock Debian kernel)
> linux-image-4.16.18
> linux-image-4.17.4
>
> My setup:
> Debian buster (testing)
> 1x POWER9 processor
> LSI Megaraid 9361-16i (ALL disks are attached to this device).
> 128GB ECC memory
> 1x 10TB RAID1 volume (2 spinning disks)
> 2x 2TB Samsung 860 pro SSD's
> 2x 1TB Samsung 860 pro SSD's
> (Note: all SSD's are in JBOD mode so I can access the individual disks
> for TRIM, etc).
>
> I've formatted the entire 10TB RAID1 volume as a backing store. I've
> tried using 2TB and 1TB SSD's as caching devices (all brand new). I've
> even tried using a 1TB SSD has a caching device for a 2TB SSD. The
> results have not differed.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Cameron,

Do you see anything suspicious from kernel message ? Or when the process
hangs, can you have its stack trace from proc or by sysrq ?

I don't touch any PPC64LE so far, and I assume it is same as x86-64
little endian, am I right ?  Currently I have bug report that bcache
does not work on big endian machines and I am working on the fix. But
your machine is PPC64LE, maybe this is another separated issue.

Thanks.

Coly Li